Sunset Poolside Jazz Series
The Westgate Hotel kicks off its first annual Sunset Poolside jazz Series!
Every Thursday starting from June from 6.30 P.M. to 9.30 P.M., Jazz enthusiasts will sway and groove to the sounds of Southern California’s finest Jazz talents offering an eclectic jazz festival by the pool of the Westgate Hotel on the 3rd floor.
Set against the backdrop of downtown San Diego’s skyline at sunset, the event series will feature jazz entertainment and offer a selection of traditional and craft cocktails, fine whiskey, wine and beer as well as a gourmet array of appetizers and tapas.
The June and July line up for the Westgate’s Sunset Poolside Jazz Series is below; August musicians to be announced.
- June 5: Gilbert Castellanos Recognized as a new American master by Downbeat magazine, Castellanos has established himself as one of the nation’s most inventive improvisers in stirring live performances.
- June 12: Steph Johnson Group With one of the biggest voices in all of San Diego County, Steph Johnson’s jazz-centric trio includes bassist Rob Thorsen and powerhouse drummer Richard Sellers.
- June 19: Trio Gadjo While the focus is the Django Reinhardt inspired gypsy jazz repertoire, members of the Trio bring a vast array of musical styles to each performance.
- June 26: Besos De Coco Innovative and eclectic chamber group made up of tap-dancer Claudia Gomez Vorce, double-bassist Evona Wascinski, and classical guitarist/vocalist Lorraine Castellanos, Besos de Coco, is stirring up a great deal of excitement with their groundwork performances.
- July 3: Peter Sprague Trio Full bodied and powerful, Sprague’s numerous albums have elevated him to legendary status among Jazz guitar fans all over.
- July 10: Sue Palmer Known as San Diego’s Queen of Boogie Woogie, Sue has amazed audiences all over the world with her unique style and phenomenal left hand. She wails through a very complete blues keyboard vocabulary like the veteran she is.
- July 17: Joshua White Focused on interpreting original compositions, as well as exploring the boundaries of collective improvisation, White has been in demand as one of Southern California’s most creative and technically accomplished pianists.
- NO PERFORMANCE ON THE 24.
- July 31: Danny Green Brazilian Trio Jazz pianist-composer Danny Green leads a trio with bassist Justin Grinnell and drummer Julien Cantelm that embraces Brazilian jazz.
- August 7: Jaime Valle is a Latin and traditional jazz musician who has won dozens of San Diego Music Awards. Jaime often plays with his bands Equinox and the Jaime Valle Jazz Quartet and composes music for commercials and films.
- August 14: The Afrojazziacs are best described as an Afro-Latin-Jazz-Punk-Funk band whose full musical experience is achieved through the incorporation of Latin-American ethnic instruments. Each member of the group brings their own musical expertise and cultural music influence.
- August 21: Curtis Taylor Quartet features Grammy award winning trumpeter Curtis Taylor, pianist Kamau Kenyatta, bassist Antar Martin, drummer Richard Sellers and guest vocalist Amanda Portela. The quartet features original music and arrangements of jazz with an R&B and neo-soul flavor.
- August 28: Iriving Flores Danzon Trio is a self-described musical journey of Afro Latin Jazz for making a beautiful life.
This exclusive weekly series is presents by international trumpet virtuoso Gilbert Castellanos and SOTNM.
For more information regarding the program, please call 619 557 3655.